- Administrative Services
The Administrative Services Department is responsible for the entire financial, accounting, and human resources operations of the City, including the receipt, disbursement and deposit in the treasury of all city moneys, assistance in the preparation of the city budget, maintenance of all accounting procedures and records, and personnel administration.
The Financial Services Division is responsible for maintaining sound fiscal management for the City.
These activities include:
- Ensure management and the City Council are informed of all matters materially affecting the financial health of the City.
- Prepare year-end closing entries, balance and reconcile all funds and accounts, coordinate and communicate with the City’s independent auditors and prepare the annual financial reports for the City and the Five Cities Fire Authority.
- Prepare and submit fiscal reports, including compliance audits of grant funds to state and federal agencies, in an accurate and timely manner.
- Provide financial analysis and fiscal information to departmental users, management and City Council, as needed.
- Provide oversight of the City's investment portfolio.
- Manage the City's annual budget process, including training and support for departments, analysis of department budget requests, and public presentation of the recommended budget.
- Provide expertise to City Council and departments on economic and financial conditions and policy issues affecting the budget.
The Accounting Services Division provides and maintains an accounting system of funds, accounts and internal controls in accordance with Governmental Accounting Standards Board pronouncements and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
These activities include:
- Accounts payable data entry of claims submitted for payment and review of purchasing policy compliance.
- Payroll administration including data entry of time sheets and rate of pay.
- Initiate tax payments and issue quarterly tax reports.
- Initiate Public Employee Retirement System (PERS) payments and perform reconciliation to reports and payroll withholding.
- Reconcile billing statements with receivables and payroll withholdings by person for employees and retirees.
- Update the payroll system tables to reflect annual changes in tax tables, employee contracts, dues, or other items for paycheck accuracy.
- Perform electronic fund transfers for direct deposit, PERS, deferred and compensation, and taxes.
- Prepare and mail approximately 3,000 utility bills monthly, working closely with the Public Works Department.
- Maintain and manage an automatic payment option for customers to have their bills paid automatically from their checking account.
- Process approximately 1,000 service orders annually to utility customer accounts, including customer updates, water meter reading verification, bill collection efforts, and water service changes.
- Record and manage business licenses and regulations.
Please be advised that communications directed to the City, its legislative bodies and their members (i.e., City Council, Planning Commission) or City staff are public records, and are subject to disclosure pursuant to the California Public Records Act and Brown Act unless exempt from disclosure under the applicable law.