Temporary Noncommercial Signs

Generic Temporary Signs in lawn

The purpose of these regulations is to protect the character, quality of life, and economic health of the City by maintaining the suitability and appropriateness of allowed signs in a manner that benefits the public and minimizes visual clutter.


For many years, the City has provided opportunities for temporary political and religious signs on private property and held that these types of signs are exempt from sign permitting requirements but subject to certain limitations.

Do I Need a Permit?

Not at this time. You simply need to have your temporary sign conform to the City's sign ordinance.

Public Right-of-Way

The public right-of-way includes public streets, sidewalks, City owned property, or public easements. It also includes landscaping that is parallel to the street and sidewalk.

Business, advertising/promotional and noncommercial signs are not permitted within the public right-of-way.


"Noncommercial Sign" means a sign, or portion of a sign, which displays noncommercial speech, e.g., commentary or advocacy on topics of public debate and concern. This definition shall be construed and interpreted in light of relevant court decisions. Noncommercial messages do not have a location factor, such as on-site or off-site.

Pursuant to Arroyo Grande Municipal Code Section 16.060.050.I., regulations allow for temporary non-commercial signs to be displayed if:

  1. Limited to a maximum of one (1) sign per property;Temporary Sign on lawn with private and public ROW delineated
  2. No larger than six (6) square feet, four feet (4 feet) in height as measured from the ground underneath the sign;
  3. Placed on private property with the express consent of the property owner;
  4. Directly affixed to the ground, on, or located in the window of a permanent structure, and which comply with all other applicable provisions of this chapter;
  5. Up to two (2) times per year, additional temporary non-commercial signs are permitted, with increases in sign size of
    no larger than sixteen (16) square feet, limited to sixty (60) days in duration. These times are typically, but not required to be, during any "election period", which shall mean the period before any national, state, or local election in which city electors may vote, up through the date of the election.


Contact the Community Development Department at (805) 473-5420.