General Municipal Election - November 8, 2022
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that a General Municipal Election will be held in the City of Arroyo Grande on Tuesday, November 8, 2022, for the following Officers:
- One (1) Mayor for a full term of two (2) years
- One (1) District 1 Member of the City Council for full term of four (4) years
- One (1) District 4 Member of the City Council for full term of four (4) years
CITY OF ARROYO GRANDE
To provide funding for general governmental use in Arroyo Grande, including maintenance and repair of streets, sidewalks, stormwater and drainage facilities, and for other City programs and facilities, shall an ordinance establishing a one percent sales tax be adopted, providing approximately $5,600,000 annually until ended by the City Council and requiring annual reports on revenues and expenditures, and review and public hearing by the City Council every five years on its necessity?
The nomination period for these offices begins on July 18, 2022 and closes on August 12, 2022 at 5:00 p.m.
- July 18th - Opening of Nomination Period
- August 12th - Closing of Nomination Period; Deadline to file Nomination Papers
- October 24th - Last day to register to vote
- November 8th - General Municipal Election
If no one or only one person is nominated for an elective office, appointment to the elective office may be made as prescribed by Section 10229, Elections Code of the State of California.
Individuals interested in running for office can download Running for Local Office - A Quick Reference Guide for basic information about running for local office. This Guide is not intended to be a comprehensive document and does not include the forms required when running for office. If you are interested in declaring your intent to run as a candidate earlier than the nomination period and are considering raising or spending money for your campaign, you are subject to certain filing requirements.
Please contact the City Clerk’s Office at 805-473-5400 for more information.
A Candidate Handbook will be provided to a prospective candidate when the nomination paper is issued during the nomination period. An appointment to receive and/or file nomination papers is required. To schedule an appointment during the nomination period, please call the City Clerk’s Office at 805-473-5400.
Voter registration forms are available at the San Luis Obispo County Clerk-Recorder’s Office, library, DMV, U.S. post offices, and City Hall. For additional information, visit the California Secretary of State website.
Additional Election Information and Resources
- Fair Political Practices Commission : The Technical Assistance Division of the FPPC will provide telephone assistance Monday - Thursday, 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM at (866) 275-3772 concerning campaign filing requirements and conflicts of interest.
- Arroyo Grande City Clerk’s Office: The City Clerk is responsible for coordinating the Municipal Election and receiving all Campaign Filing Statements for local candidates. To contact the City Clerk’s Office, call (805) 473-5400, Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm (except holidays), or send an e-mail.
- San Luis Obispo County Election’s Office: Find your polling place, voter status and more online.
- Voter’s Edge California is an online resource that provides nonpartisan information on elections and voting.
- California Easy Voter Guide provides new voters and busy voters with nonpartisan information for statewide elections in California.
- Success in Public Service : What You Need to Know Before You Are Appointed or Elected